Through the 1950's and 1960's the county library system would begin to gradually take hold throughout the state. The struggle for tax support would slowly be won at both state and local levels. Buildings used by the county libraries showed a great deal of variety and creativeness. Some counties renovated private homes for use as public libraries.
Barnwell County's Library was a private home donated by Mr. and Mrs. C.G. Fuller in 1953. The county renovated and refurbished the home and it is still in use today.
a private home in Aiken county that was renovated and
served as the public library from 1974 until 1990. Today the building is used by the Aiken County Historical Society.
Once Aiken County Library outgrew Banksia, the town renovated "Institute Hill" as the present library. Built in 1890, the Institute was the former home of Aiken Academy.
A history of Aiken and Barnwell County libraries is included in Estellene P. Walker's short history of of Aiken-Bamberg-Barnwell-Edgefield Regional Library and is discussed in more detail elsewhere in her book.
Read More About: