In its early years, the Columbia library was located at the corner of Washington and Sumter streets.
In 1924, the name changed to the Columbia Public Library. Two years later, the old wooden bridge across the Congaree River burned. Fortunately, the county had insured the bridge. The Richland County Legislative Delegation reserved the funds thus realized for the library.
In 1934, the library — now supported by a one-mill tax — was organized as the Richland County Public Library.
In a mere ten years, the Timrod Library had evolved into a true countywide system, a result of several incomes, including funds from the Rosenwald Foundation.
Read more about: