The Administration of E. S. Dreher

During the administration of E. S. Dreher from 1895-1918, Columbia High School was established and the central library became a part of the high school.
Taylor School
Taylor School
As more new schools were built, libraries were included in the building plans. The Taylor Street School, built in 1905, had a library and recreation room in addition to 12 classrooms. Reading supplements for primary grades during this time included Andersen's Fairy Tales , Grimm's Fairy Tales, From the Land of Stories, and Robinsoe Crusoe for Boys and Girls .
The earliest reference to a librarian is in the 27th Annual Report of the Public Schools, Columbia, SC (1909 and 1910). Miss Fannie C. McCants is listed as district Librarian and Instructor of Sewing. In 1919 she is listed in the annual report as the High School Librarian. The small amount of $142.50 per year for librarians indicates that teachers were paid a small stipend to maintain the school libraries.
Logan School
Logan School
The value of school libraries was $2000 in the 1913-1914 report ($1,800 for White schools and $200 for Black schools.) Superintendent Dreher listed the need for more libraries in this report. Logan school was built in 1913 with a Library on one side of the front entrance and the Principal's office on the other side.
Throughout the Dreher administration, advocates for libraries reported on the need for more resources. Henry Wise, Principal of Columbia High, stated that "No department has the necessary equipment to do its best work, and the success that the High School has attained is due to the efforts of the teachers more than to the helps they have had for classroom work. For example, history teachers are very much in need of maps; English teachers need reference books and increased library facilities; every classroom needs a dictionary for ready reference; language teachers need reference books that bear especially upon their own work; mathematics and science teachers the same."

Return to Richland One Index home

Return to the
South Carolina Library History Project

This page created by Donna Teuber
Updated January 17, 2000.
Copyright 2000 by the
Board of Trustees of the University of South Carolina