|The Libraries of South Carolina
by Mary Frayser
||(Click on image|
to view scanned
of Mary Frayser's booklet)
As a result of the efforts of Miss Louise McMaster, then librarian of the Marion library,
and Mr. R. M. Kennedy, librarian of the University of South Carolina, a bill of which Miss McMaster
was the author and which was drawn by Mr. A. C. Woods was passed by the General Assembly of South
Carolina in 1915. According to its terms a county, township, or school district may acquire, own,
or operate a public library or libraries, and a tax or taxes not exceeding two mills may be levied
and collected for the support or acquisition of the same.*
This statute is highly
significant since it provides for larger library area and population units and for wider support by
taxation, two factors which had been found to be related to efficient and enlarged service at low
cost in other states and communities where notable library progress had been made.
In May, 1921, the Greenville public library opened its doors for a service made possible
by the vision and generosity of two of its outstanding citizens. The most notable public library
work done in South Carolina during the period 1923-1931 was that of the Greenville public library
under the leadership of Miss Charlotte Templeton. In January, 1923, the library was taken over by
the city, which provided a two-mill tax for service within the city limits. The amount available
from this tax was supplemented by gifts from the two citizens to whom reference has been made for
city library work and for library extension service to residents of mill villages and of the open
country of Greenville county.
An act was passed in 1925 creating "a library district to be known as the Greenville County
Library District" and in 1928 it was amended to provide for the appointment of library trustees,
election limitations, and contract or contracts for library purposes.**
*South Carolina Civil Code, 1922, V-3, Sec. 4480.
**South Carolina Acts, 1925, pp. 176-178, No. 121, S 1-9; amended, Acts, 1928, pp. 1154-1156, No. 586.
|Figure 3. -- The library truck visits a rural community|