COLEMAN KARESH LAW LIBRARY
Law Library WebPage
1910: Report discusses poor condition of the library's books. 1910: Dean John P. Thomas wants Lawyer's Reports Annotated. 1910: Suggestion that a departmental library be established. 1911: Suggest purchasing Trinity Series of Selected Cases. 1913: Additional sets of reports needed at a cost of $1000.00. 1915: Library consists of a alcove and adjacent bookcases. 1915: Need for law Books, reports, bookcases, and furniture. 1916: Library located in Legare College. 1920: Library has excellent collection of digests and treatises. 1922: Desire to increase holdings from 1,300 volumes to 5,000. 1926: Need for complete set of English Reprints. 1929: Need New York Supplement and South Carolina Statues. 1929: Room in Petigru with bookcases used for library. 1930: Index to Legal Periodicals acquired. 1931: Library's 10,000 volumes meets requirements of ABA. 1933: Mary Ophelia Strickland is law librarian. 1934: Suggested that modern metal stacks be purchased. 1937: Library acquires American Jurisprudence. 1939: Library consists of 15,803 volumes. 1940: Efforts made to increase money for library's purchases. 1941: Only set of New York Supplement in state found here. 1941: Library obtains set of the Selden Society publications. 1941: Mildred Doe is law librarian. 1942: Law library contains 18,931 volumes. 1942: 2,500 volumes stored in basement of new general library. 1950: Holdings include Federal Supplement. 1951: Donation of 13 volumes of the New Oxford Dictionary. 1952: Library gains Chancery Reports of the State of New York. 1953: Contract established for air conditioning of law library. 1953: Library contains 40,000 volumes, including 103 peridoicals. 1958: Library needs South Carolina's Transcations of the Bar. 1974: Librarians include Jon S. Schultz and Miss Robin Mills. 1974: Library in new law center at Main and Greene Streets. 2002: Law library contains 487,831 volumes.
Coleman Karesh Law Library pages created by Abigail J. Lambert
Law Library WebPage
Law School Web Site