Davis College is the home of the College of Library and Information Science and is located near the University of South Carolina's historic "Horseshoe" and near Gibbes Green, which also has a bit of an interesting history.
The building was built by King Lumber Company of Charlottesville, Virginia.1 under the auspices of Charles C. Wilson, the first University architect.2
In 1908 the legislature acceded to the trustees' long-repeated request by appropriating $30,000 for a new classroom building at the corner east of Bull and north of Green. Completed in 1909 at a total cost of $34,273, it was named in honor of the late Professor R. Means Davis at formal exercises on January 12, 1910.4
A 1910 picture (170K) appears to show a workman in the upper left hand window. This view is from the Gibbes Green side about where McKissick is today. Another, probably earlier photograph (172K) shows Davis College as well as a panorama of the Green.